Summit Run - Indrahar Pass

11:49 AM Mallikarjun 1 Comments

 

Here’s my story of planning, training and completing Summit Run Level 4, Indrahar Pass.

Disclaimer: I am not a long-distance runner, trail runner or an endurance athlete. But I love running. I love hiking. I also love running/walking in the midst of nature. This was the first running event I registered, planned and trained for.

When I moved to Bangalore in May this year, I was looking for a challenge to keep me motivated and goal oriented while running and training. I came across Summit Run at Indrahar Pass by Boots and Crampons. What I liked about the event was that it was all trail, and there were different levels that I could choose from. I wanted to push myself to do something which I have never done. This would be my first trail running event, and the longest ever single day walking/running event. So, I was circumspect. Initially I thought I would do Level 3 – which was 20 Kilometres, for I had only 4 months to train, and as per Chetan, the race director, Level 4 was comparable to a 60-70 Km ultramarathon in terms of effort. And here was I, someone who has never even run a distance beyond 25 kilometres ever! However, talking to friends who are much more experienced runners, I felt I should try to get to the top of Indrahar Pass. I could do it as a speed hike, instead of trying to approach it as a trail run.

With Level 4 in mind, I started to build my training and acclimatisation plan. Rahul (joshmach), is the person I look up to when I think of running. So, I sounded him out, and he gave me solid advice. I created a detailed plan with different types of training – long slow runs, higher intensity runs, hill hikes/runs, as well as strength and cross training. I jumped into it with all the spirit I could muster. However, after 2-3 weeks I realised I could not sustain it, and had to cut down on the number of days. I was busy with work as well, with frequent inter-city travel. So, I could not really keep the tempo up.

With about a month and a half left, I did a rain check. I decided I needed to train more for the climbs. There weren’t any hills near me, so I decided to do multiple reps of the staircase in my friend’s society building. I would do that at least twice a week, for 30 minutes, gradually building it up to an hour. On the weekend, I trained at some of the hills around Bangalore. With about a week to go, I was feeling strong. However, right then, I had food poisoning, and had to go on antibiotics – a typical spanner in the works.

So, I wasn’t feeling very confident when I travelled to Dharamkot on October 1, for my five day acclimatisation trek to Indrahar Pass. There were two things that I had in mind as I stayed four nights at 2900 meters and above – spend time on feet walking at altitude, and not get exhausted while doing it. On the day we trekked to the pass, we were out for 12 hours, going up and down from Laka Got. This was the longest I had been on my feet for a while.

Mt Mun and Indrahar Pass to the left, from Triund Top

Climbing up Indrahar - check out the scale, and the gradient




Pic courtesy: Amol Rajoba

Back in Dharamkot on 6th, I decided to chill while my partner and friends went out to explore Dharamsala. Event was on the 8th.

Event Day: Like most participants, I was there at 3:30 am, for a 4 am start. I had butterflies in my stomach. I planned to go along with Kiran, a participant and runner, who I had connected with while I was at Triund.

At 4 we were off! People started to move up the slope at a fair clip. Kiran was also speed hiking, and I had a hard time keeping up with him. I could feel myself going out of breath, and not being able to sustain it over the course of the entire hike/run. So, after a frantic first 20-25 minutes, I stopped pushing hard, and let my heart rate come down to a level where I could walk comfortably without feeling exhausted. There was rain around, and I tried to not get overheated in my hard-shell layer.

I had set myself the following targets:

Cut-off 1 (Magic View): 1.5 hours

Cut-off 2 (Triund 2870m): 2.5 – 3 hours

Cut-off 3 (Snow Line 3350m): 4 hours

Cut-off 4 (Summit 4350m): 8 hours

Finish: 14 hours

As I continued my slow but steady hike, I crossed Magic View in 1:25 hours. I felt fresh. Triund came at 2:35 hours. The sun was peeping out of the clouds, with a breath-taking view on display. I carried on till Snow Line, reaching there in 3 and a half hours. I was slowly gaining on the people who had gone past me. This gave me confidence in my method. I took a short break to have a sandwich, as I was hungry. My body was craving warm, solid food! But I did not have time to wait at the café for it, and so I continued onwards. 


Pic courtesy: boots and crampons team

At around 10 I crossed Chetan, just above Lahesh caves (3450 m). This was the business end of the climb – steep gradient at altitude, with uneven steps and exposure. Meanwhile, two of the local participants had already crossed me, and were on the way down! They finished in 5 hours! Kudos to them.

Above Lahesh Caves. Pic: Chetan Sehgal

I started gaining altitude slowly. Some participants passed me on their way back. But I also gained on a few others, crossing them. I felt no signs of altitude, and was feeling strong. However, I decided I would push only when I was in the flatter section of the trail, while descending. At just before noon, I reached the top, exactly eight hours after I started! I was super charged, and let out a roar. Not the typical me, but adrenaline can do weird things to you. I didn’t spend too long at the top, as I wanted to keep within the time frame I had set myself. So down I went.

At the pass at noon! So stoked.
Near Lahesh Cave. Pic courtesy: Chetan

With the race director and friend Chetan


The steep path down was hard on my tiring thighs and knees, so I wore a knee pad on my left knee as a precaution. The two-pole strategy really helped me here. It made sure that I did not slow down too much, nor did my legs tire out completely. I reached snow line at a little past 3 pm. I had 10 more kilometres to go. I was feeling strong, had gas in the tank. So, I packed away my trekking poles, and started jogging down. Slowly, I picked up my pace. Zipping downhill took me back to my early days of hiking in Sahyadri, where we would race each other in slippery monsoon conditions. I was alone, and enjoying myself.

I slowed down for a few minutes when I felt myself tiring, walking for a stretch, and then ran when my body felt it could. Triund and Magic view flew by, as I crossed some more people. It started to sink in that I would make it! I finished at quarter past five, reaching the Regional Mountaineering Centre, where my partner was eagerly waiting for me. This was such a special moment for me. It took me 13 hours 12 minutes to finish, well within my planned time.




It all worked out like clockwork for me. Perhaps there was beginner’s luck somewhere. But the planner in me was happy to have achieved the targets I had set myself. Still feeling over the moon as I write this down, five days later.

My heartfelt gratitude to the people who helped me – Rahul for the advice, the pep talks, and the confidence he had in my ability. Chetan for his guidance related to the race, about trail running in general, and his support during the event. Ramesh and Sushil, local lads who were our guides during the trek, and crew on event day. All other volunteers and participants, who made this event such a fun and memorable experience. Amol and Nishi – my friends who accompanied me on the trek. But above all, my partner Sam who had to bear with all my nervousness, anxiety and idiosyncrasies. The times I would wake up early and just disappear for the whole day! She was my greatest motivator, who never stopped believing in me.

Here's to many more such forays into the mountains, where I belong.



You Might Also Like

1 comment: