King's Fort – Rajgad

7:20 PM Mallikarjun 1 Comments



As it pulled out on the busy streets of Pune on a Monday morning, the familiar vibrations of the ST bus aroused in me an elation that I have been missing. Back on the road again, alone, with little knowledge of the area, ready for a new adventure. No car, no companions, just a handful of information from the net, and a hope to spend a day in nature's territory. A bright orange sun, and wild orange flowers lining both sides of the road, made for a perfect start.

Lulled to sleep in a crowded bus, I woke up and got down at Margasane, still 6 Km from base, with an arduous road walk ahead of me. Breakfast at a road side hotel separated a hitchhiked ride in a car, and an unexpected ST to the base village, Gunjavane. I was already psyched having glimpsed the fort in the distance. A helpful Kaka gave me directions for the route, and I hit the track at around 11.

The Chor Darwaja route to Rajgad is considered challenging with steep, narrow patches at the end. The red road from behind the ST stand is quite prominent and cannot be missed. I followed it as advised and reached the ridge that would lead me to the top of the fort. The route was fairly easy, and the weather favourable – sunny but breezy. The area is densely forested, and wild flowers were in full bloom. As I reached a plateau, the royal ramparts revealed themselves to me, it's towering walls making me nervous. The gradient increased beyond that point, and my lack of fitness was exposed
 
Majestic Rajgad

The bee encounter

As I was panting up the incline, an inquisitive bee took a liking to me. Perchance it mistook me for a bright red smelly flower! First it perched itself on the red shirt. Then as I held my breath, it hopped on to my hand. I stayed dead still – there were many others bees around, and a single bite would lead to another. The painstaking few seconds passed by as I felt its feet and probe tingling my skin. It skipped to my pants, and then started buzzing around me. I covered my head with my bag and decided to make a run for dear life! Thankfully I was able to shrug it off. But the rest of the journey I was paranoid about any faint buzz in my ears.
View from the steep patch
View from Chor Darwaja
I was out of breath, my legs feeling like dead weight, as I reached the steep patch. I clambered up using the railings for support shamelessly. The rock climber in me was disgusted. Regardless, I was at the entrance at 12:15. Success! And in good time too – around one and a half hours. A couple of old ladies near Padmavati Talao served me delightful tak (butter milk), which I gulped down greedily.

Padmavati Talao
Nandi

Suvela Machi and Chilakhti Buruj in the distance
I trudged ahead without wasting any more time. The fort is immense – perhaps the largest in Maharashtra. It was the seat of Shivaji before he moved to Raigad. The main fort – Bale Killa loomed large in front of me. I lumbered along the broken steps, wary of the clouds building up. The view from the top was breathtaking as it always is. A few click happy moments later, I was on my way down.

Bale Killa
Ardh Chandrakar Talao


Going Down: Pali Darwaja
My feet were tired by now, and my body refused to move. My toes hurt, and my knees were killing me. I write it down, lest I forget. Train harder, you idiot! I felt like an old man trudging the giagantic steps down Pali Darwaja, the more common “Raj Marg” route to Vajeghar. The walk was tedious, as the path changed from slippery mud to gravel to tar. I was in civilzation again, after spending four happy hours away from it. If only, I could just stay here, without any worries or attachments.
View of Rajgad from Raj Marg route, with Bale Killa standing tall

I spotted a lone bike and to my delight he stopped on seeing me. I muttered something in broken Marathi, and so I got a ride to the Velhe – Nasrapur road. I was not looking forward to the tar road walk to the next village, where I would wait for the ST. But it was my lucky day. I got another lift all the way to Nasrapur, in a Scorpio. It was with Babu Sahab Jagtap, a local politician, and his happy go lucky friends. When I told them I had just come after finishing the Rajgad trek, they were in awe. They were quite curious about me, and I was hit by a volley of question in Hindi/Marathi/English. One of them wanted to know my “cost!” (caste) too. I sat listening to their banter, smiling yet uncomfortable. I knew they meant no harm. They offered to help me out the next time I was in that area. But I was glad to be back out on the road, in the familiar din of an ST, and on my way back home.

A cold shower later, a blissful sleep betook me, bringing an end to a day well spent.

Trek Details:

Fort: Rajgad
District: Pune
Taluka: Bhor
Distance: 60 Km (Gunjavane), 65 Km (Vajeghar) (All distances from Pune)
How to Reach:
  1. Take the 8 o'clock ST to Velhe from Swargate, and get down at Nasrapur / Margasane. From there, get a local vehicle to Sakhar, and futher to Gunjavane. Alternate option: Take the direct 9 o'clock ST to Gunjavane to avoid any hassles.
  2. Regular ST leave each hour for Vajeghar, the base village for the common “Raj Marg” route.
Trek Route: From Gunjavane ask anyone for the “Chor Darwaja” route. You can't miss it from behind the ST stand – it goes up the hill to the ridge. Follow the path – it will lead you to the ridge. Form the ridge the route is fairly straight forward. Alternately, you can climb up or down from Vajeghar village. The route is a broad track which can't be missed, called the “Raj Marg”. Leads to Pali Darwaja.
Trek Duration: To reach the top – Around two hours. To explore the fort – two hours.
Fort has 4 sections: 1. Padmavati Machi (Chor Darwaja and Pali Darwaja lead here)
2. Bale Killa (Main fort, Talao)
3. Sanjeevani Machi (Torna Darwaja, and way to Torna)
4. Suvela Machi (Nedhe and Chilakhti Buruj)

You Might Also Like

1 comment: