Ashes 2010

2:03 PM Mallikarjun 0 Comments

Ashes as always is creating a buzz down under and around the world, with the two most keenly contested Test series lined up side by side (India - SA), for a mouth watering two months of cricket starting December.
Talking about Ashes, I don't know which team to gun for (hate both), and want it to be an exciting contest with the team which plays better cricket winning. I have some cricketers on either sides which I admire for the way they conduct themselves (viz. Dougie, Hussey, Swann, Anderson), and want them to perform to potential. My interest keenly aroused, I am following the build up closely. Soon the eve of the 1st test at Gabba, here is my view of how I see the composition of the two XI's:

England look stronger on recent form, but I am skeptical about the capabilities of Broad and Finn - highly overrated bowlers in my opinion. James Anderson and Swann will hold the key for England. Swann in my opinion is the best spinner in the world right now, and his confidence and positive spirit along with his control and simple approach, will take him a long way. As for Anderson, he always was super talented with the ability to move the ball both ways at lively pace, but its now his ability to not fall to pieces mentally all the time, which makes the difference. England's batting has more grit than flair, and they will be tested in bouncy overcast conditions. Pietersen will as always be the central figure in their batting, keenly observed and targeted (left arm spinner et al), but I think Strauss and Collingwood are also key players with their tenacity. Bell, Cook and Trott are all unknowns, so the batting for me is England's weak link, if the bowling is tight. But their bowling looks quite settled, and is better than Australia's on paper.

I would have loved to see a four pronged Aussie pace attack with Dougie - my current favorite paceman making the cut. But as is the case very un - Australia like, they are playing a spinner. Australian pace attack is untested as well - with only Hilfenhaus being consistent apart from Bollinger. Johnson is a bit of an unknown factor, and Siddle is returning to international cricket after a long time. Add to that the steady but nonthreatening debutant Doherty, and the attack looks iffy to me. The conditions are predicted to be overcast, and the bowlers are supposed to dictate terms, so Siddle, Johnson and Hilfenhaus need to pull up their socks. Watson could also be an important support bowler, with his hit the deck approach. As for their batting, they have an unorthodox opening pair, but Katich has showed that he is mentally as tough as Justin Langer of old. Ponting is under pressure but is the key batsman who can tear the other attack apart, while Hussey and Clarke, though not in form, are both class players. If Hussey's form in the India ODIs is any indication, I have a feeling he will again show why he is called Mr Cricket, letting his bat do the talking. Clarke's back problems mean that he will have to play through pain, and could break down sometime during the series. North meanwhile will provide the much needed solidarity to the lower order, while Haddin will provide the flair. So batting wise I feel Australia are better on paper.

Everything considered, it looks like there's little to choose between the sides (although by not selecting Dougie, Aussies might have missed a trick), and I hope the joust is as exciting as it promises to be.

Edit: : I just realized England are making Eoin Morgan sit out ! What a waste. But then the side is being shepherded by Flower, and Strauss, and not Pietersen, so is on the expected lines.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: